It’s been a bit of a rough few days around the Together house. Financial difficulties, which have never been a stranger, have run up against us with their weapons of fear and despair and frustration, and we have found ourselves in one of the worst situations we have ever been in.
I don’t want to go into the details now, because honestly, it doesn’t matter. What truly matters is this.
And although there is one very large, very specific financial need that we have not yet seen met, He has blessed us and beaten back the weapons of the enemy with His own precious reminders of love and faithfulness.
They are too good not to share. Our God is so good.
Even when we are at the bottom of a pit we have created for ourselves, our God is so good.
Some little blessings we have been counting the last few days:
1. Our back passenger van door has been stuck locked since before Little One was born. Last Wednesday it randomly made a weird noise and popped up. It has been working ever since.
2. A toddler bed I’ve been trying to sell on Craigslist for more than a month finally sold on Friday. All the lady had was ones to pay me with, and she was so embarrassed that she gave me $5 more than I had it listed for. When does that ever happen?
3. I was cleaning on Saturday and found $20 I didn’t know I had.
4. Art was cleaning yesterday and found $15 he had forgotten about.
5. A dear friend and mentor surprised me with a latte on Thursday, when I hadn’t had time to make coffee and was in dire need of a caffeine fix.
6. Our car died on Sunday. Not the good news. But it happened in our driveway. It could have died any time while we were on the road to and from church that day.
7. One of our church’s missionaries (and son of one of our church families) is home with his family right now to raise support, and he is apparently a car genius and has given up a significant amount of time and energy to try to get our van running again.
8. Last Wednesday, I received an email from wordpress that said my blog was on the home page of wordpress.com. And it was! I had more hits that day than I usually have in three weeks. And lots of weird comments, let me tell you! I don’t know if any of them will ever come back again, but it was just one of those little things that encouraged me on a difficult day.
9. I came downstairs earlier today to see Stinky on the floor with one of his toys, singing “Count Your Blessings.” How can I not?
I am blessed. We do not know how all of these needs will be met, but we do know this– He loves us and cares for us and promises to meet the needs of our hearts, and those of our bodies.
And for these small things, I give thanks.
I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. — Psalm 27:13