I found this list of questions and decided I needed to answer some of them. Because I want to write in my blog but don’t have anything else that I’m ready to say. 🙂
1. What did you do this year that you’re proud of? I don’t know if proud is the right word exactly, but I am really thankful for the way God brought me through this year of Sacrifice. I had so many assumptions going in, but God did things in His time and His way that I never would have dreamed of. And in one area of long-term bondage in my life, after so many ups and downs and so many days thinking I couldn’t possibly try again, I feel like I am standing in a place of victory. And that’s not me; it’s all Him. And I’m so aware that I could fall again, any time. And I’m so aware that if I do, He’ll pick me up again.
2. Who did you meet this year that inspired you? I met my nephew for the first time and he is totally amazing. He inspires me to laugh.
3. What did you read that you think bettered you? I read so many great books this year. One that helped me so much in my walk with God was Breaking Free by Beth Moore. The book One with a Shepherd by Mary Somerville challenged and encouraged me in my role as a pastor’s wife. Unbroken by Laura Hillebrand was amazing and shocking and horrifying and so very good. Hopelifter by Kathe Wunnenberg had so many practical ways to reach out and bless others. The Names of Christ by Warren Wiersbe was amazingly timely to me. And the book of Psalms. I love the Psalms so much.
4. What are songs that you will always hear and think of this year even when you’re listening on some contraption that hasn’t even been invented yet? “The Poochie Lip” by Patch the Pirate. Ha!
5. What were some times that you laughed so hard you could barely breathe? At our family reunion this fall. And also as my son Darth Piggy has gotten older, he has begun to get a pretty killer sense of humor. Not always. But sometimes. And then I laugh.
6. What were your favorite movies? Not what was good, not what you had to see because of your friends or the media. What were your favorites? Does the Dr. Who Christmas special count as a movie? Because River Song, you know? And also, going to see Cinderella with Gracie, taking the kids to see Minions, and surprising the boys with opening night tickets to The Force Awakens were definite movie highlights this year.
7. What are some fears that you had at the beginning of the year that you overcame? I was afraid that when I named the year sacrifice I was going to lose more than I could handle. And I was right. But I gained so much more than I lost. And at the end of my ability to handle the loss, I found my Savior. He’d always been there, you know? Sometimes we forget. Sometimes it takes a sacrifice to remember.
8. What were quotes that you loved this year?
“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'”
9. What are ways that you exercised self care? Naps. So many naps. And lots of good books. And hugs from the three most amazing kids in the world. And kisses from my guy. ❤
10. What are things you want to see more of next year? I want to see more words in this blog. I want to see more kindness in my home.
11. What are five things you did that you never thought you’d actually do? Um, got pneumonia, went a whole day without eating on purpose, bought jeggings for my daughter, actually did a google search for “size 6 girls jeggings,” made a birthday cake for a thirteen-year-old.
12. What were your favorite things this year?
Visiting my grandma
Seeing my sister and her family for the first time in 4 years
Princess Day with my daughter
Celebrating 15 years with this amazing man of mine
13. What are the most important things you learned this year? That Jesus is enough– for me, and for my family. That He is worth every sacrifice. That He is pleased with me.
14. What is your favorite photo from this year? I seriously don’t know if I could pick one, but I absolutely love this shot of my kids, and it’s definitely right up there in my favorites!
15. What are five things you want to say to people you love?
I love you; I’ll see you soon; Thanks for being amazing; It’s fun knowing you; You are a blessing in my life.
There are fifteen more. Maybe I’ll post them tomorrow. Or maybe not. 🙂 Happy Almost New Year!